Thursday, February 11, 2010

Stories from the Past

I was browsing through my flash drive when I came across some stories I wrote when I was younger. Here are a few of the ones that amused me the most:

The Princess and the Orange Tree
Rewritten by Darwin Graser

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess named Petunia, who lived in a castle by the sea. She loved to play in the gardens just outside her bedroom window. The King and Queen let her roam freely everywhere around the gardens except for the area just beyond the old wooden fence.
As she grew taller, she discovered that she was able to see over the fence. When she looked over it, she saw a magnificent flowering orange tree in the corner all by itself. That night, she decided to ask her dad about the tree. He told her that it had been in the corner for generations, and nobody ever watered it or even touched it. She wondered how it could be so tall when it hadn’t rained in years.
The next day she walked up to the fence and tried to climb on the broken boards. She ripped her dress and fell to the ground. All of a sudden, a fairy godmother appeared and said, “Do not try to climb the fence. The tree is cursed and something very horrible will happen to you if you touch it!”
“What happens?” Petunia asked.
“Well, how am I supposed to know. I’ve never touched it. I’m just here to warn you the way my mother warned your father,” said the fairy godmother.
After the fairy godmother was gone, she couldn’t resist climbing the fence, so she did it anyway. This time she made it over to the other side. Slowly she walked over to the lovely tree and wondered what to do next. She was thinking about running back to the castle and getting water for the tree, but something kept her glued to the spot. It seemed as if the tree was whispering to her.
She stepped a little closer and reached her arm toward the tree. She gently rubbed the tree’s smooth bark and felt a funny, tingling, “juicy” feeling. The world started spinning and the tree seemed to be growing in size beside her. She screamed for help, only to have a little squirt of orange juice come out of her new navel. She pulled out her mirror from her pocket and discovered her new round, orange complexion. To her horror, she had turned into a seedless navel orange!
The fairy godmother reappeared and said, as she shook her wand at Petunia, “I warned you not to touch that tree. But don’t feel bad; you’re a very delicious-looking orange. Hee hee! Now I know what happens.”

- I'm not sure what I meant by "rewritten..."

Super Turkey and the Turkeyless Thanksgiving
By: Darwin Graser

One ordinary Thanksgiving Eve, Super Turkey (ST) was walking down the streets of Maple Grove. With his super hearing powers, he heard people screaming for help. He looked up to find the source of the sound. Using his super vision, he saw a plane 12 miles away going into a nosedive.
“Oh no!” shouted ST. “I must use my super powers to help those poor people.”
His super flight ability brought him to the plane, and he grabbed onto its belly. With his long wings he was able to maneuver the plane out of the nosedive. As the plane slowed down, he steered it towards the Crystal Airport. He used his super feet as a substitute for the failed landing gear and ran along the runway. He slowly brought the plane to a stop.
“We are safe!” the pilot yelled. “I wonder who saved us.”
As the nervous passengers exited the plane, they were surprised to see ST crawling out from underneath it.
“Did you do this?” asked one relieved passenger.
“Why, yes I did,” boasted ST.
All the passengers cheered. They were thankful to be alive and able to celebrate Thanksgiving with their relatives. They all agreed, though, that they would never eat turkey again. Instead, they would eat tofu turkey for Thanksgiving.

- Haha, I used to love that one.

THE HOUSE ON MAPLE STREET
By Darwin Graser

I always knew there was something suspicious about the house at 1073 Maple Street. It was a two-story house at the end of the block, partially hidden by the two pine trees in the front yard. An odd-looking vehicle was parked on the road in front of the house everyday. I never knew why, because no one ever seemed to leave. Strange noises could be heard coming from the basement at all hours of the day and night. The blinds were always closed, so I never saw who lived there, until just last week.

I’ll tell you the whole story.

It was a Thursday night in August when it happened. I was going to spend the night at my friend’s house when I realized I had forgotten my pillow. I decided to walk home by myself and get it. As I passed 1073 Maple Street, the ground began to shake and smoke billowed out from the foundation. It was a perfect lift-off.
After the smoke cleared, I noticed that only the basement remained. As I got closer, I peered over the edge and saw what looked like a chemistry lab. There were bubbling chemicals still in their beakers on the table. I carefully climbed in and found a beaker labeled, “Top Secret, Do Not Duplicate.” I explored some more and found a file labeled with the same message.


As I studied the room, I noticed a map of a strange place called Ugardia.
All of a sudden, I heard a swoosh!ing sound overhead. I looked up only to see the house coming back down around me. I grabbed the file and the map, ran into the closet, and closed the door. To my dismay, the door locked behind me. I was trapped.
After the house settled back onto its foundation, I heard the cellar door opening and footsteps coming downstairs. I tried to be as quiet as possible, but apparently it heard me breathing. Outside the door, keys jingled and the knob started to turn. It opened the door and …
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

- This one was an assignment where we had to write a story based off the caption for a picture. I was assigned this picture. The caption was: "It was a perfect lift-off"

So there you have it, folks! Even as a kid, I was a little twisted. Or something...

1 comment:

  1. I think you will always be twisted ;) But you should embrace it!

    Oh, and have you ever had tofurkey? I hear it's nasty stuff, and I can assure that, even if a turkey saved me from most-certain death, I would still eat the real stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete