Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Man Behind the Name

As you know (or at least should know), my name is Darwin. This is a pretty unique name, and I like it a lot. But with a name like Darwin, I am constantly asked:

"Oh like Charles Darwin?" or "Are your parents evolutionists?"

To which I smile and reply, "No, and I bet you wouldn't ask me that question if my name was Charles, would you?"

But the actual history behind my name is pretty interesting (in my opinion). I was, in fact, named after my dad's best friend from Vietnam. He and my dad worked on radio towers together, and, according to my dad, their friendship was comparable to that of Forrest Gump and Bubba. Which is really cool in itself. But the really cool part is that a few days before my dad and Darwin were scheduled to go home, my dad was driving his Jeep down the road, and Darwin was sitting shotgun. Darwin spotted a Vietcong sniper in a tree on the side of the road and managed to shoot and kill him before he could shoot his target (my dad). If it hadn't been for this man, I would not exist today. So I think that it is fitting that I should be named after such a wonderful man.

I have never met this man, but my sister wrote a blog about him today, and in it, she included this picture of him:



This picture makes me so very happy. I can't quite describe the feeling that I get when I look at the man behind my name. But I find it quite fitting that this should turn up so close to Memorial Day. Someday, I hope to meet this man so I can personally thank him for saving my dad's life.

Which reminds me! Happy Memorial Day! Thank you to all of the armed forces who are risking their lives/have risked their lives/have given their lives so that we may enjoy all of the freedoms that we so take for granted today. I really appreciate your sacrifices. :)

2 comments:

  1. I posted my blog on Memorial Day weekend for a reason ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story! I had thought that Darwin is a unique name, but I never thought of Charles Darwin. Being named after someone is a special thing, and your story is amazing.

    ReplyDelete