For a long time now, I've been noticing very annoying tendencies in the media and, well, society in general. I guess they're not really annoying just... disappointing. For example:
- Tonight, I stumbled across a show on Spike TV called 100 Ways to Die. Sounds interesting, right? I thought so. But as I watched the show, I realized that the entire thing was centered around 3 things: sex, gore, and partying (with drugs and alcohol and stuff). Some of the deaths were funny, I admit, but most of them were about women choking on candy g-strings or men taking too much Viagra and having a heart attack. All of the deaths were re-enacted in very explicit, vulgar, gory ways. And my first thought was: wow, this show (nay this entire CHANNEL) is trying really hard to appeal to guys. And it's probably succeeding! Which disappoints me. Why must guys be classified as horny, blood-loving, sickos who think with the object in their pants? Why must I fit into that category at times? But the thing is, I feel like I'm a minority here. There's a whole channel (heck, multiple channels, internet sites, and magazines) devoted to glorifying the fact that many men are horn-dogs. They seem to believe that it's ok to objectify women and not think about the consequences. Can people sseriously do things like that without feeling guilt or remorse? I don't understand how people can live their entire lives pushing aside any inkling of what they know is right just to satisfy the desires of the body. For example: Tiger Woods and John Edwards. Really guys? What were they thinking? They had it all. At least they're suffering consequences. So many people get away with it. And it's encouraged by channels like Spike TV.
- On the show, Hannah Montana, Miley Stewart is, well, basically a bitch. She is mean to her brother, shows little respect for her father, and constantly makes fun of her "best friends." And every time Miley makes a smart-ass little quip about how dumb and rednecky her father is or how much she hates her brother, the laugh track plays. What is that teaching kids who watch that show? It's teaching them that being rude, disrepespecting your parents, and showing no tact is funny. I know I sound like one of those moms who gets all worked up over no big thing, but a while ago (when I watched those shows), I noticed that I was actually starting to disprespect my parents and treat my friends worse. And I thought that they would find it funny. I was almost disappointed when the "laugh track" didn't start playing after I made a super "witty" comment. I fell into the very trap that I just described. I almost felt my sense of humor shift after watching those shows for a while. If a show like that has that big of an impact on a teenage guy, what kind of an impact must it have on little kids who watch it? Disney (and many other kid show channels. I'm just using Hannah Montana as an example) claims that they are kid-friendly and wholesome, and yes, Miley usually learns some sappy life lesson at the end of every episode, but what are the viewers actually learning?
very insightful. and very true. come on spike tv, really?
ReplyDeletesometimes i wonder why media glorifies this image of a domineering, strong, aggressively sexual male... and the lean, hourglass, steamily sexy woman.
honestly, who really WANTS to live up to society's idealizations? it's all about 'sex appeal,' and what does that get you? a night? a double-take? an envious glare? but where is the real message... how should we live in accordance with the 'image' they have set up?
truth is, we shouldn't. those aren't people, they're bodies.
yup... that's my two cents. you have some very good thoughts in there. :) kudos
also, i was writing an english paper on the media when i typed that... sooo yes! :P
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100%. I'm rarely a fan of how women are used in media or how men are portrayed. It's so skewed! I think it's really cool that your realizing how much crap even Disney can conjure up :)
ReplyDeletep.s. Good luck this weekend at Morris! I want to hear all about it :)